University scholarships are available for international students who wish to study in Australia, and one of the most lucrative ones comes from Queensland University.
- Country of origin: Australia
- Funded by: Queensland University
- Type: Fully Funded
- Education level: Master’s and PhD
- Duration: 3.5+1 years
- Separate Application Required?: No
- Deadline: Round postponed (Open for Domestic students)
A brief introduction
The Queensland University Scholarships are now open to international students who wish to study in Australia. The scholarships cover both undergraduate & master’s degrees & come with a living stipend of $32,192 per annum tax free, Single Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
The scholarships provide a living stipend to students enrolled full-time in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or other qualifying research-focused professional doctorate at The University of Queensland (UQ). The stipend is intended to support recipients as they work to complete an original research project during their postgraduate studies. By facilitating financial assistance, these awards help cultivate the next generation of researchers and enable students to dedicate their time and efforts towards advancing their scholarly work.
- Living stipend of $32,192 per annum (2023 rate), tax-free and indexed annually
- Single Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
The scholarship provides a competitive annual living allowance to recipients. This amount is exempt from tax obligations andadjusted each year according to economic indicators. Students additionally receive mandatory health insurance to meet visa requirements through single OSHC coverage.
Who is eligible to apply?
To be considered, applicants must:
- Be formally nominated by their enrolling school/institute at UQ
- Meet Graduate School assessment standards for admission to the higher degree research program
- Not be receiving any living allowance or scholarship that exceeds 75% of the RTP rate for the intended higher degree program
In summary, candidates are eligible if they have secured nomination from their UQ academic unit, satisfied admission requirements, and are not currently supported by funding that provides a similar or higher stipend level than what the RTP Scholarship offers. This ensures only those needing financial assistance to pursue qualifying research degrees at UQ will be selected.
International students are eligible to apply for these scholarships if they meet the following criteria:
How to apply?
- Eligible candidates need only submit one application to be considered for both admission to a PhD/MPhil research degree program at UQ as well as the associated scholarship award.
- Applicants should complete the standard application form for entry into the desired postgraduate research degree. Within this single form, they can opt-in to scholarship review under the “Scholarship and Collaborative Study” section.
- No separate scholarship application is necessary. Applicants who indicate interest will automatically be assessed for a scholarship contingent upon admission to an eligible PhD or MPhil program.
- This streamlined process allows candidates to conveniently apply for both academic admission and financial support simultaneously through one unified application
Q. Can I apply with a letter of recommendation from someone who is not my professor?
- Yes, you can provide a letter of recommendation from someone who is not your professor if they know you well and they can attest to your academic abilities and potential as a student at Queensland University in Australia.
Q. What are the application requirements?
- The scholarship application requires that you submit an essay (500 words) about why you want to pursue a degree at Queensland University and what it would mean for your future goals if chosen as a recipient of this scholarship.
Q. What are the terms and conditions?
- Recipients will be selected based on both merit and financial need as determined by meeting the eligibility criteria outlined on our website.
Q. How many scholarships will be awarded?
- There are two scholarships available each year; one for undergraduate studies and one for master’s level studies.
Other Scholarships at UQ for International Students
International Science Scholarships
- For the 12th year of the EAIT international award, the following disciplines will be considered: Architecture, design & urban planning, computer science, & I.T., engineering.
- International science scholarships in agriculture, environment, architecture, planning, & design, as well as science & mathematics.
- As an extension to this scholarship program, there are also scholarships available for high school students with a strong interest in Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM).
- A value of up to $3,000
- Scholarship payments are conditional
- Payments will be made following the academic census date in the first semester.
- If a student decides to withdraw from their program before this point, they will not receive a scholarship payment.
- Payments will be made into each recipient’s Australian bank account (nominated by them).
- Queensland University Scholarships have eligibility criteria that all international students need to meet.
Year 12 EAIT International Award:
- The Queensland University Scholarships offer up to $10,000 per annum and cover 50% of the cost of undergraduate and postgraduate study.
- These scholarships are for tuition only and do not include living expenses, travel, or any other expenses incurred during their studies.
We hope you have found some useful information about scholarships at QU for international students. We would be glad to answer any questions you may have.