If you are looking to get into grad school, getting a good score on the GRE will be an important part of the admissions process. It may even be a determining factor if you get into the program of your choice or not. Taking a test prep course is recommended to help you get the best results on such an important test. Let’s take a look at one of the most popular, affordable, and effective GRE prep programs by Magoosh.
What we will cover?
Magoosh GRE Test Prep
Magoosh is one of the leading GRE prep companies available to recent college graduates. It is an online, on-demand GRE study tool designed to improve a student’s scores by at least 5 points. Magoosh students generally see an average score increase of 6 points in each section of the GRE, compared to other test-takers who have not taken a test prep course. According to their internal data, Magoosh users have a median score of 157 for Verbal Reasoning and 159 for Quantitative Reasoning (math). Additionally, 20% of Magoosh students achieve scores in the top 10%, and 18 alumni have earned a perfect GRE score.
Students who choose Magoosh benefit from realistic GRE questions that will help them prepare for test day and refresh the verbal or math skills they used for the SAT or ACT.
Students can filter questions by type and by difficulty so they can focus on precisely what they need and use their time wisely. There are video and text-based explanations following every single question so students can learn from their mistakes and discover strategies for similar questions.
The Magoosh system also utilizes an adaptive technology to recognize a student’s strengths and weaknesses to adapt the practice questions accordingly. This technology is very similar to that used on the official GRE.
As students complete their practice tests, Magoosh tracks their performance and pace to give feedback. This feedback is visible on the central dashboard and compares a student’s progress and pace to that of other test-takers. This valuable information can help students adjust their study plans to focus on areas where they might need some extra practice to keep up with their goals.
Just How Good is the Magoosh GRE Prep?
Magoosh is confident users will see an improvement and have a 5-point Score Guarantee in place. If your score does not improve after completing your Magoosh test prep, your costs will be refunded, no questions asked.
Magoosh 1-month plan
The Magoosh 1-month study plan, for $129, is great for students looking for a quick refresh heading into the GRE. Even though the study period may be on the shorter side, it still comes with a +5 points guarantee.
Over 1 month, students have access to over 250 on-demand video lessons, more than 1,200 practice questions, and 3 full-length GRE practice tests. The large question pool covers everything you will need to know come test day, including Math, Verbal Reasoning, and Analytical Writing.
Students also have access to a weekly or daily study schedule, depending on their needs and study style. These study schedules are a fantastic resource for students who are just starting their GRE prep and are feeling a bit overwhelmed. It also helps those who struggle with organizing their study plans. However, these plans are free and can be accessed even if the Magoosh prep plan is not purchased.
Magoosh also offers email assistance and a score predictor within all their prep plans. The score predictor is a tremendous resource as it lets students see how their studying is going and what score they can expect if they keep going on that trajectory. Equipped with this knowledge, they can change their study schedule accordingly and reach the score they need.
Magoosh 6-month plan
The Magoosh 6-month plan is virtually the same as the shorter 1-month plan in what it offers except more time is allowed to access the materials. This plan costs $149 for all 6 months versus $774 for 6 months on the monthly plan.
There are additional study plans to choose from if you are preparing for the GRE for around 6 months in advance. Magoosh offers both general study schedules as well as focused plans for both Math and Verbal skills.
What We Like About Magoosh
- 7-day free trial– The free trial gives you access to 20 lessons and 20 practice quizzes. This is enough to give you a good feel for the program. You’ll be able to tell if it is a good fit for your study habits and schedule before investing.
- Affordable– With a 1-month premium study plan for $129 and a 6-month study plan for only $149, Magoosh offers some of the most affordable study plans on the market. Their plans include many of the features found in more expensive packages from other companies. They also offer a lot of free resources and you can also find discounts and sales to further reduce the cost.
- 5-point increase guarantee– If you are going to spend the time and money on a prep course, you want to know that it is worth it. The 5-point increase guarantee can give you confidence while you study.
- User friendly– From your dashboard, it is very easy to customize your study plan to meet your needs. Different areas of the course and loads of information are easily accessible so you don’t waste time trying to find something.
- Accessibility on computers, smartphones, and tablets– All of the course materials are offered online and accessible from whatever device you use. This flexibility increases your ability to spend more effective time in the material no matter where you are or what device you have available for study.
- Practice questions are designed just like the GRE– Realistic practice questions help you prepare effectively. You can be sure you aren’t wasting time on questions that are too easy or unlike the real test. Some questions are really good which you need for a very high score.
- 3 full-length GRE practice tests– Practice tests are always beneficial to help you get a sense of what the real test will be like. They also help you predict your scores and know which areas you need to focus on for improvement.
- Free study schedules- Schedules keep students focused and motivated. Free study schedules come in a daily or weekly format depending on your preference. This is a great resource especially if you struggle with time management or organization.
- Practice tests and questions adapt to your strengths and weaknesses– It is great to be able to customize your practice sessions to what you most need. You can choose how many and what type of questions you want to practice and you can also alternate between practice mode (which provides explanations) or quiz mode (for more realistic practice).
- Tutoring Options available– If you need some one-on-one help, Magoosh offers 4 tutoring packages for an additional cost. These packages cover different areas of the test and give you varying amounts of time in your tutoring session depending on the kind of help you are looking for.
- Free Flash Cards- If you find flash card study effective for your learning style, they provide the cards.
What We Did Not Like
- 100% virtual- For people who need personal interaction or an in-class experience for best results, this course may not be for you.
- No options for tutoring or in-classroom classes included in course- Though tutoring is available at an additional cost, it is not a part of the low-cost base course. In-class experience is not available.
- Access is limited to either 1 or 6 months- This may be sufficient time for some students, but you may struggle to get sufficient practice and review in before taking your test.
Is Magoosh GRE Prep Worth It?
Magoosh is a great GRE prep resource. But that doesn’t mean it is a good option for everyone. If you are anxious about your score, it might be better to choose a program, like Magoosh, that offers a money-back guarantee if you do not increase your score by a certain number of points.
When it comes to budget, Magoosh is affordable compared to other prep courses. Magoosh also offers a 7-day money-back guarantee if you do not like the course for any reason or feel it may not work for you.
If you need face-to-face support, you may want to choose another prep course. However, Magoosh is an excellent option for practice questions completed on a laptop. Email support from Magoosh Test Prep Experts is also available if you need help.
Overall, most students will find Magoosh a useful study tool. It offers the materials and motivation necessary to keep students on track leading up to the GRE. If you are still unsure, it won’t hurt to take advantage of the week-long free trial and see if Magoosh is the right fit for your GRE prep goals.
Who should use the Magoosh GRE prep course?
We recommend the Magoosh GRE prep course to people who can study independently and are willing to work hard and put in a lot of practice. This is also a good choice for people who enjoy the video format or who already have busy schedules and need to customize their study time.
Will I get the support I need?
Yes. If you can’t find the answer to your question on their website, you can contact them and will receive a reply within 1 business day, if not sooner.
Does Magoosh have a refund policy?
You have 7 days from purchasing the course to decide if it is the right fit for you. If you are unhappy with it for any reason, notify them within 7 days and they will cancel your course and refund your money.
Who wrote the practice questions?
Magoosh has two experts in GRE field write the practice questions. Mike McGarry, with over 20 years of teaching experience and expertise in the math portions of the GRE, created the questions for the math section. Chris Lele, also a GRE expert, created the verbal questions.
How difficult are the practice questions?
You can be sure that the practice questions match the actual GRE questions very closely. The practice questions will be a range of easy to difficult and the difficulty level will be provided with each question so you know where you stand.
Can I get immediate feedback on practice questions?
Yes, the default setting is for the correct answer and explanation to be displayed immediately after you answer a practice question. However, if you prefer, you can customize your settings to a quiz format if you do not want to see the answer right away.
Can I customize my practice session?
Yes, not only can you select between practice mode and quiz mode, but you can also choose the section you want to practice and the difficulty level. Further, you can select if you want to have all new practice questions or if you’d like to practice questions you previously answered incorrectly to help you strengthen weak areas.
Additional Information about the GRE
What is the GRE?
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a standardized test, much like the SAT or ACT, but is specifically designed to predict your future performance in graduate or business schools. If you are interested in pursuing a master’s, MBA, or doctoral degree, you will need to score high on the GRE.
Your final GRE score will be taken into account along with your previous work experience, undergraduate record, and other relevant materials. A poor score can, therefore, negatively affect your graduate school applications.
What is the GRE format?
The GRE is a multiple-choice style standardized test typically taken online, but traditional tests are also offered just not as frequently. All the questions reflect the kind of material you should be prepared for in graduate school courses.
The questions are separated into 3 individually timed sections: Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. The analytical and reasoning skills tested in the GRE are vital for your success in graduate or business school. Unlike other standardized tests, you can skip questions within a particular section and come back to them later. You also have the option to choose which questions you would like to answer first within a section.
Each section has its own grading system:
- Analytical Writing: a scale of 0 – 6
- Verbal Reasoning: a scale of 130 – 170
- Quantitative Reasoning: a scale of 130 – 170
How to Choose the Right GRE Test Prep
Since the GRE is such an important test in your life, it is important to be well prepared and take advantage of the best GRE prep course for you.
We’ll leave you with these questions to facilitate the decision-making process:
- What program/school do I want to get into and what is the average GRE score of accepted students?
- What score do I want and how much do I need to improve to get there?
- What is my budget?
- What kind of learner am I?
- Does the company guarantee an improved score?
- Can I get my money back if the course isn’t a good fit for me?
We wish you the best of luck as you begin this process toward a successful graduate school degree.