If you want to study in the United States, we have good news for you! The Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship scholarship is now open. If you’re interested in being a part of this amazing offer, we’re going to explain and provide everything that you’ll need to know more about this scholarship:
What is the Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship
This scholarship offers international students a chance to apply for the Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship. For the year 2023, they’re starting to accept students aiming for a postdoctoral degree. This offer includes financial support worth $60,000 US every year and is funding for deserving students to help them enroll in applicable universities in the U.S.
This foundation supports careers for young people who are in the medical or biological research field. This scholarship aims to encourage bright students with the potential to add valuable scientific research and studies in the industry.
With this in mind, it’s understandable why competition is tough. Only less than 5% of applications are awarded, but once you land it, it’s all worth it and very rewarding too. Take note though that the foundation is keen on checking out your application, so you have to prepare for it as best as you can.
To give you more idea of what this scholarship entails, here’s a short but helpful list of what the scope of this offer is about:
Country: The United States
Scholarship Type: Postdoctoral (3 years)
Offered by: Helen Hay Whitney Foundation
Institutions: Helen Hay Whitney Foundation
Degree Program: Biomedical Sciences
Scholarship Amount: $60,000
Deadline: June 15, 2023
You can find full list of PhD scholarship here.
Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship Coverage
The recipients will be given these benefits:
- Once the fellowship scholarship is activated, the recipient will be given financial aid to travel to the location of the program. This includes the recipients and their families.
- A two-day fellowship meeting will be held in November, and the foundation will cover the expenses for this too.
- If there is a child, the recipient can take advantage of the Dependent Child Allowance support, which is worth $1,500 for every annum.
- If household goods need transportation, there’s no need for any payments as the fellowship will cover this as well.
- This is the current stipend and the expense allowance of the said program:
Who is Eligible for the Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship Scholarship?
There are certain qualifications required for an international student to be eligible for this program. If you’re one and are interested in taking part in this scholarship, you’re required to have these:
- Language Requirement: English
- Countries Eligible: All countries in the world
Take Note: If you’re from a different nationality and are from a foreign land, including the ones that have areas in conflict, you must present the required documents to get a local residency status. You’re also asked for authorization to work in the U.S.
- The program is looking for students who are in their postdoctoral training, and this should be in the biomedical field. The fellowship is looking for those who are in the last parts of their M.D., Ph.D., or degrees with the same level.
- The scholarship requires candidates to have at least not more than a year of experience as postdoctoral researchers. It’s also looking for candidates who have a Ph.D. or a degree of the same level that’s not more than two years before the deadline, or an M.D. degree that’s not more than three years before the deadline.
- Most likely, the award will be given to foreign citizens who’ll do their studies and research in labs that are in the U.S. only. Also, most of these applicants will be likely from North America at the time of the application.
- The program will not likely grant candidates who already have tenure in a company or lab in which they had an extended stay and training. This is because the program prefers to have candidates widen their experience and training in other venues that will hopefully spark more creative ideas in their field of research.
- As it’s required by U.S. immigration, foreign candidates will have to provide all needed VISA documentation for a smoother transaction.
- The program does not count any clinical house-staffing experience as postdoctoral laboratory training.
- Candidates who already have enough experience and who came from established labs and companies will likely be declined. The fellowship program needs students who have postdoctoral experience and training only.
- Every November every year, a two-day fellowship meeting is held. Every third-year student should be able to present his or her research at this point. This event is one of the highlights of the year as this allows sharing of new research material and imparting knowledge in the biomedical field. Attendance is a must during this event.
How Can You Apply for the Helen Hay Whitney Fellowship Scholarship?
- Read and follow all of the instructions when you go through the online application here.
- You can use this reference letter as your guide. Forward this to four referees. They should all finish the reference letters when you send them to [email protected]. The letters should be in PDF form and should follow the formatting guidelines in the reference.
- Download this file. Once done, you can upload it with the rest of the needed documents.
Note: Upload the zip file right after you send the 2-page application letter. Do not upload it later in the day.
- Complete your application process here.