This is an advance notice. Scholarship will open on 1st April 2024.
When we think of prestigious scholarships, some come to mind easily such as the Rhodes or Fulbright Scholarships. But there’s one that’s rarely heard of and may be the most prestigious of all: The Shawn Carter Scholarship.
- Country of origin: USA
- Funded by: The Shawn Carter Foundation
- Type: Fully funded
- Education level: Undergraduate level
- Deadline: 30th Apr 2024 ( It will open on 1st April 2024)
What is the Shawn Carter Scholarship?
Undergraduate US students are eligible to apply for the scholarship, which is fully funded. It covers tuition and related supplemental educational expenses such as travel, books, lab fees, and other living expenses. The name of the scholarship comes from Shawn Carter, who was born on December 4th, 1977 in Brooklyn. Mr. Carter adopted the stage name, Jay-Z. He attended Mount Saint Michael Academy before transferring to George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in Downtown Brooklyn. After his music career took off he created this incredible opportunity for young people looking to go to college but are struggling financially due to their social class or race.
What expenses does the scholarship cover?
- The scholarship covers tuition expenses
- It also covers related supplemental educational expenses such as books, lab fees, travel, & select costs of living.
- There is an expected grant between $1500-$2500
What are the selection criteria?
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens
- Having at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA is required
- Demonstrate financial need
- Selection is based on academic merit, extracurricular activities, and community service involvement, as well as the applicant’s leadership potential
- The household annual income cannot be more than $75,000 USD.
- Up to 25 years of age limit
How do I apply?
- Find out if you’re eligible & apply for the scholarship online with the official website
- Send all of your required materials
- Submit a 500-word essay about why you deserve this scholarship & how it will help you achieve your goals
- Include with your application, a letter of recommendation from a teacher or school administrator
- Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
How many recipients are selected each year?
Each year, the scholarship selects ten recipients from a pool of qualified applicants. To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident who will have received your high school diploma by 2020. Additionally, you must plan on attending an accredited college or university in the US to pursue a STEM major (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) and demonstrate financial need. Applicants are evaluated based on academic excellence & potential contribution to society. The Shawn Carter Scholarship is awarded every year at Howard University.
1. If I don’t meet these requirements can I still apply?
Yes! Those with extenuating circumstances may contact us to request consideration for their application.
2. How do I get more information about the scholarship?
Please visit our website for more information on how to apply.
3. What are my chances of winning this scholarship?
Every applicant has a chance at winning, but we have no way of telling you your individual chances without reviewing your entire application. We encourage you to put in as much detail as possible when completing your profile so that we have a better idea of what kind of student you are and what your personal goals are- both inside and outside the classroom.
4. Why is this such a prestigious scholarship?
First off, all applicants will be interviewed by members of our board personally. Secondly, only students who show potential and ambition will be offered this scholarship- which means that not only are you paying for your education but also demonstrating qualities that could potentially make you a valuable asset in society post-graduation.
Not a lot of people know about the scholarship, but it is one of the most prestigious scholarships out there. It not only covers tuition but also supplies and other expenses.