Writing a leave application can be daunting, but this blog post covers the basics of how to do it, provides a sample and format, and offers examples. By the end, you will have the knowledge to create a compelling leave application for your employer.
Types of leave applications
There are many kinds of leave applications, not just the ones listed below:
1. Vacation Leave: A vacation leave is the most common type. This leave allows employees to take time off from work for vacation, travel, or personal reasons.
2. Sick Leave: Sick leave is a period of time that an employee can take off from work due to illness or injury. The amount of sick leave varies depending on the employer and the length of employment.
3. Parental Leave: Parental leave is when parents can take off from work to take care of their children or elderly family members. This type of leave is typically unpaid, but some employers may provide paid parental leave.
4. Bereavement Leave: Bereavement leave is taken when an employee has experienced the death of a close family member or friend. This type of leave allows the employee to take time off to grieve and attend funerals or other memorial services.
5. Military Leave: Military leave is a form of unpaid leave that allows an employee who is also a military member to take time off for active-duty service or training.
6. Jury Duty Leave: Jury duty leave is a form of unpaid leave that allows an employee to take time off from work to serve on a jury.
7. Maternity/Paternity Leave: Maternity and paternity leave allow new parents to take time off from work for childbirth, adoption, or to care for a newborn child. Many companies provide paid leave for new parents.
8. Personal Leave: Personal leave allows an employee to take time off from work for personal reasons such as attending doctor’s appointments, taking care of family matters, or attending to other personal issues.
9. Leave for marriage: Employees may be allowed to take leave for marriage ceremonies or other related activities, depending on the organization’s policy. Such leave is usually limited to two or three days, although it might vary from one organization to another.
10. Compassionate leave: Compassionate leave is a kind of leave taken by an employee when they suffer any grief or tragedy. This kind of leave usually lasts between one to four weeks, although this might vary depending on each organization’s policies.
11. Emergency Leave: Emergency leave is available for employees who face urgent situations requiring their attention at home or abroad. The duration of this kind of leave depends upon the situation and is generally granted at the employer’s discretion.
12. Study Leave: In certain organizations, employees can take study leave if they need to pursue higher education or professional courses related to their field. Depending on the company’s policy, such leaves may be either fully paid or partially paid.
13. Unpaid Leave: In some instances, companies might grant unpaid leaves to employees to pursue various opportunities such as internships, volunteering, research projects, etc. Employees should always discuss these requests with their supervisors before proceeding with them.
Leave application structure
1. Introduction: The introduction of your leave application should include basic information about yourself, such as your name and job title. You should also briefly explain why you are requesting a leave of absence.
2. Length of Leave: You should state the length of time you will be away from work. This should include the exact dates when you plan to begin and end your leave.
3. Reason for Leave: Explain the reasons behind your request for a leave of absence. This should include any medical or personal issues that require your attention and how they will affect your work.
4. Communication During Leave: Provide details regarding how you will stay in touch with your employer while on leave. This could include keeping them updated on the progress of your project or sending regular updates.
5. Contact Information: Include the contact information of who to contact in case of an emergency while you’re away. You should also provide your contact information so your employer can reach you during your leave.
6. Authorization: This section should include a signature from you and your employer authorizing your leave of absence.
7. Conclusion: Summarize the contents of your application and state any additional information you wish to convey. This could include thanking your employer for considering your request or expressing a desire to return to work after your leave.
Things to do and not do when writing a leave application
– Provide a clear explanation for your leave
– Make sure to include dates of your absence
– Mention the number of days of your leave
– Make sure to provide contact information
– Show respect to the person receiving your application
– Express gratitude to the employer for their courtesy and consideration
– Don’t make the application too lengthy
– Don’t forget to sign the letter
– Don’t use a casual language
– Don’t make false promises or exaggerations
– Don’t submit your application at the last minute
– Don’t forget to mention the exact date of joining back
Leave letter format
[Your City, State, Zip Code]
[City, State, Zip Code]
Dear [Supervisor’s Name],
I am requesting a leave of absence from [Company Name]. My last day of work will be [date].
I am requesting a leave of absence because [state your reason here]. I am aware of the company’s policy on leaves of absence and am willing to provide any additional necessary information or documentation.
I am grateful for the opportunity to work with [Company Name] and am committed to making this transition as smooth as possible. I am available to answer any questions you may have or to provide assistance in transferring my responsibilities.
I appreciate your consideration of my request.
An example of a leave application mail
Subject: Request for Leave
I am writing to request a leave of absence from [date] to [date].
I need to attend to a personal matter that requires my attention during this period. I have taken into account the impact of my absence on my team and have arranged for [name] to cover for me.
I will be available on my mobile, and email should any urgent matters arise during this period. If approved, I will make up for the time off upon my return.
I appreciate your consideration of my request.
Template for universal leave letters
[Name of the person to whom the application is addressed]
Subject: Leave Application
Respected [Name of the person to whom the application is addressed],
I am writing this letter to request a leave of absence from [Company name] due to [state the reason for leave].
I am aware that my current leave balance is [mention the number of leaves left]. I would like to apply for [mention number of days of leave] starting from [mention the starting date of leave] to [mention the end date of leave].
I understand that it may be challenging to find someone to cover my duties during this time & I am willing to help in any way I can. I am confident that I will make up for the lost time and am willing to work extra hours if required.
Thank you for your consideration!
Leave on medical grounds sample template.
To: [Manager’s Name]
From: [Your Name]
Subject: Leave Request on Medical Grounds
Dear [Manager’s Name],
I am requesting a leave of absence from work due to medical reasons.
The medical issue I am dealing with is [describe medical issue]. My doctor has advised me to take some time off to rest and recover.
Therefore, I request a leave of absence, starting on [start date] and ending on [end date]. I will be available to do remote work if needed during this time.
I understand that this leave may impact the workflow, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I will remain in contact with my team and be available to answer any questions they may have while I am away.
I look forward to returning to work and resuming my duties as soon as possible.
Thank you for your understanding.
Leave application format for vacation reasons.
[Name of Supervisor],
I am writing to request permission for vacation leave from [date] to [date].
I am planning a vacation to [location] and would like to take time off to make the most of my trip. I understand that this might cause some inconvenience, and I am happy to help arrange coverage during my absence.
I will complete any tasks and projects before I take my leave and will be available via email or phone if any urgent matters arise.
I look forward to hearing from you regarding my request.
Thank you for your consideration.
Leave application format for a festival reason.
Subject: Leave Application for Festival Reason
I am [Name], an employee of [Company Name], working as [Position]. I am writing this letter to request you to grant me a leave of [No. of days] from [Starting Date] to [End Date] due to a festival celebration.
The festival is one of the important occasions of the year, and I need to visit my hometown to celebrate it with my family. I understand that the leave will affect my work schedule. However, I assure you that I will complete all the pending work before taking the leave.
I have already informed my team leader about my leave, and he is aware of the current situation. I would be grateful if you could consider my request & approve it as soon as possible.
Thank you for your consideration.
Writing a leave application is a valuable skill to have. It can help you in both personal and work situations. When you write your application, you should use the proper format. If you follow the tips in this article, your leave application will be clear & strong.