- Country: United States of America
- Scholarship Type: Merit-based
- Institutions: Any institution in any of the developing countries
- Funded by: Wells Mountain Initiative
- Tuition Type: Tuition Support
- Degree Program: Diploma and Bachelor’s Degrees
- Scholarship Amount: $300 to $3000 annually
- Separate Application Required?: Yes
- Deadline: 1 March, 2024.
WMI offers scholarships that vary in amount, starting at $300 USD and going up to $3000 USD each year, disbursed over the course of the recipient’s undergraduate studies. Although the upper limit for our scholarships is $3000 USD, it is uncommon for awards to reach this sum. Typically, the average scholarship we grant is around $1500 USD.
Recipients can apply the scholarship funds to cover various educational expenses, including:
- Tuition and related fees
- Educational books and supplies
- Accommodation and board
The ideal candidate is an individual, irrespective of gender, hailing from a developing nation, who:
- Has completed their secondary education with grades ranging from good to excellent.
- Is aged 35 or younger as of March 1, 2024.
- Intends to study within their own country or another developing nation.*
- Seeks to attain their first bachelor’s degree or diploma.
- Is enrolling in a study program that will be beneficial for their community and contribute to the sustainable development of their home country.
- Has plans to reside and seek employment in their home country post-graduation.
- Has a proven track record of community service and a history of volunteering before application.
- Might have partial funding available for their education but requires additional financial support to continue their tertiary education.
Individuals related to WMI Staff or current WMI Scholars are ineligible to submit applications for this program.
How to apply
- To participate in the Empowerment Through Education (ETE) program, applicants are required to submit a fully completed application. This can be done either through the online scholarship application system, which is the recommended approach, or by sending it through traditional postal service to the Foundation’s headquarters.
- Starting from December 1, our online scholarship application will be available through our official website, which we strongly recommend for submitting your application. Detailed guidelines for navigating our online application system will be provided on the site, including a prominent “Apply” button for your convenience. The online application process for the 2024 Empowerment Through Education program will be open starting on December 1, 2023, and will close on March 1, 2024.
- While we will continue to accept paper applications sent via postal service, we advise applicants to utilise the online method for efficiency and reliability. Should you choose to mail your application, please ensure it is complete and sent in a single package; incomplete submissions, or those sent in multiple mailings due to omitted documents, will not be considered.
- On December 1, the latest WMI application form will be accessible for download and print on our website. It is crucial to use this most recent version, as outdated forms found on other sites will render your application invalid and result in its disposal.
Please be aware that incomplete applications will be automatically discarded without notification. It is essential to check that all parts of your application are fully completed before submission.
We will not review applications sent via email. To ensure your application is considered, please use our dedicated online application portal to apply.
Maintain a detailed log of your service-related engagements, noting the dates, types of activities, time invested, and including any photographs or relevant evidence.
Gather your secondary school transcript, results from national examinations, and the corresponding grading keys necessary to understand your scores.
Obtain two recommendation letters written on official letterhead from individuals familiar with you in a professional or personal capacity, emphasizing why you merit the scholarship.
Ensure all your documents are professionally translated into English.