Available Scholarships for International Post-Grad Students for the University of Science & Technology in South Korea for 2024-2025
- Country of origin: South Korea
- Funded by: University of Science & Technology
- Type: Fully funded
- Education level: Master’s degree & Ph.D.
- Duration: 2-5 years
- Deadline: 1st Nov 2023
South Korea is one of the most educated nations in the world, with about 70% of the population from ages 25 to 34 taking some form of tertiary education. In fact, more than a third of the adult population (34.2% of adults aged 25 to 64) have a bachelor’s degree.
This might seem surprising, as education is somewhat expensive here in South Korea. That might deter some international students from studying here, but if you are aiming for a Master’s or Doctoral degree, you might get some help with some scholarships.
The University of Science & Technology is one of the universities that offer scholarships for local and international postgraduate students.
What are the Scholarships Available for International Post-Grad Students?
There are quite a few of them, and they include:
- Excellent Lecturer Awards
- Excellent Professorship Awards
- UST Research paper awards
- UST Research paper guidance awards
- UST South Korean Government Scholarships
For Which Fields are These Scholarships?
As these are for the University of Science & Technology, they’re mainly for the Sciences and Engineering.
The scholarship fields for the Sciences include:
- Bio-Analytical Science
- Food Biotechnology
- Industrial Technology
- Marine Sciences
- Medical Physics
- Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology
- Nano Science
- Science of Management
As for Engineering, scholarships are available for all fields. But they’re especially popular for:
- Advanced Materials and Chemical Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies
What are the Funding Benefits?
If you receive a UST South Korea Scholarship, you can expect the coverage to be quite expansive:
- These are fully-funded scholarships, so the university covers the full tuition.
- Stipends are also available, with Master’s students receiving $1,100 monthly. Students aiming for the Ph.D. will get $1,600 a month.
- All scholarship students get health insurance.
- The scholarship also covers the airfare when the student travels to South Korea.
Of course, the international student will have to shoulder some of the other expected expenses.
The stipends may only cover some of their food and accommodation expenses, and the student will have to cover the rest. In addition, the student will also have to buy their laptop or PC.
And when they fly back home, they must pay for that themselves.
You can check full list of scholarships in Korea for international students here.
The Eligibility Criteria for Master’s Level
Anyone from South Korea or any other country can apply.
Those looking to study at UST South Korea for their Master’s degree in the Sciences or Engineering must fit the following criteria:
- The applicant must have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree or some other degree equivalent to this.
- Current students who have not yet completed their 4-year Bachelor’s degree can still apply. But they must be sure they will complete their degree by August 2023.
- The applicant must also have some valid proof regarding their English-language proficiency. UST South Korea accepts IELTS, TOEFL, DET, and Cambridge test scores as valid proof.
The Eligibility Criteria for Doctoral Level
Again, these scholarships are open for South Koreans and international students alike. The criteria that successful applicants must meet include the following:
- The applicant must have a 2-year Master’s degree in the listed Science and Engineering fields.
- They may also have any other degree equivalent to the 2-year Master’s degree.
- If they are currently working on their Master’s, the student can still apply if they are sure to receive their Master’s degree by August 2023.
- Again, you need proof of your English proficiency.
How to Apply for the UST Scholarship?
Here are the steps you need to take if you’re an international student.
- Find the official website of the UST Scholarship Program, and create your account.
- Find and download the application form.
- Read and fill up this form carefully, putting in the required information. Double-check everything to make sure you didn’t miss anything.
- Submit the form.
You may also have to submit some required documents along with the application form, and these may include the following:
- A printed copy of your Academic Record
- Your English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- A copy of your professional CV, which must be professionally written and must not contain irrelevant information
- Your photograph
- A copy of your current medical report
- A copy of your study plan, which is your proposed study schedule that works with other aspects of your life
- A copy of your research proposal, which should include your scientific research objectives, the plan of execution, a list of expected challenges to overcome, a list of required facilities and equipment, and perhaps even a hypothesis on how this research can impact the field and society in general
- A motivation letter, which is basically an introduction letter that lists your qualifications, skills, and long-term goals to portray yourself as a deserving recipient of this scholarship
- A letter of intent that details why you’re interested in the scholarship
- A statement of purpose, which relates various relevant life events that motivates you to succeed in your chosen field and also states your future goals
Keep in mind that you must complete and send your application by May 27, 2023. And you should do your research to determine which documents are required.
It must be said that the academic environment in South Korea is highly competitive. You’ll be among thousands of Korean students exceedingly determined to excel, and you won’t be able to take it easy here.
The country is a hub of technological advancement and innovation. Therefore, the degrees you will attain here will be internationally recognized.
But South Korea is also an excellent country for international students. The people are friendly, and there are many beautiful places to explore and visit.
And after completing your Master’s or Doctoral program here, there’s a good chance you’ll also be fluent in Korean!