This is an advance notice to apply in next cycle. Save for later.
This program provides the perfect opportunity to gain invaluable experience in top technical and managerial positions in the WBG and is open to those who have both a passion for international development and leadership potential. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide to applying for the program so that you can make the most of this unique opportunity!
- Funded by: The World Bank
- Type: Fully funded
- Education level: Fellowship & Training
- Deadline: For all profiles, applications will be accepted from 15th June through 15th July, while for MIGA and IFC only, applications will be accepted from 16th August through 20th September.
What is the World Bank Group?
The World Bank Group (WBG) is an international organization dedicated to ending poverty and increasing prosperity around the world. It is made up of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction & Development, the International Development Association, the International Finance Corporation, as well as the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and the International Dispute Settlement Centre.
Together, the WBG works to promote sustainable development by investing in infrastructure, providing grants & loans, offering technical assistance and policy advice, and providing research and analysis. The WBG has committed over $100 billion in support of projects in over 100 countries. Through its Young Professionals Program, the WBG provides an opportunity for young professionals to join the organization and develop their careers as part of a unique and dynamic team. The Program aims to bring fresh perspectives to the WBG & support new ideas, initiatives, and solutions that can help further the WBG’s mission.
What Does the Young Professionals Program cover?
The World Bank Young Professionals Program offers numerous benefits for successful applicants. Here is a brief description of each:
– Salary: A competitive salary package is provided to Young Professionals according to their educational qualifications, work experience, and country of origin.
– Health, Life, Accident, and Other Insurance Programs: Comprehensive health insurance coverage is offered to Young Professionals & their eligible family members. Additional life, accident, and other insurance programs are also included.
– Mobility Premium: The Mobility Premium is designed to help Young Professionals with relocation costs.
– Tax Allowance: Young Professionals receive a generous tax allowance to help cover any taxes due in their home country.
– Pension Plan: All Young Professionals are automatically enrolled in the World Bank’s pension plan.
– Relocation & Transportation Benefits: Young Professionals receive assistance with relocation costs, such as shipping and moving expenses.
– Financial Assistance: Young Professionals may be eligible for financial assistance for various educational needs or special interests related to international development.
Young Professionals Program Components
The program includes a range of components that provide mentorship and training opportunities. The following will probably be part of the program:
- Training: The YPP program offers training courses designed to build your knowledge in development & economic policy, as well as provide the necessary tools to make a difference. You’ll gain new perspectives and skills through learning activities such as workshops, simulations, and case studies.
- Professional Experience: You’ll be assigned to specific roles at the World Bank Group (WBG) and get the chance to work alongside experts in various departments. This allows you to apply your newly acquired knowledge & skills while receiving guidance from experienced professionals.
- Field Work: During the program, you’ll have the chance to participate in field visits in one or more of the countries where the WBG is active. These visits provide a firsthand look at how the organization is implementing projects on the ground.
- Coaching and Mentoring: A dedicated mentor will be assigned to each YP to provide guidance and support throughout the program. Additionally, coaches will offer tips and advice on how to succeed in the YPP.
- YP Buddy: Each YP will also be paired with a YP buddy who is already part of the program. The YP buddy can share experiences and tips on how to make the most out of the program.
- Technical Buddy: If you are assigned a technical project, you’ll be connected with a technical buddy from the same department who can help answer any questions about the project.
- WBG Mentor: You’ll also have access to mentors from across the WBG who are experts in their fields. These mentors can help you navigate the WBG system and offer advice for success.
- Youth Program Team: Last but not least, the YPP team provides support throughout the program, from selection and onboarding through to completion. The team works closely with participants to ensure they gain the most out of their experience.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
The following requirements must be met in order to be eligible for the program:
- You must be 32 years old or younger as of June 30th, 2023
- You must have a Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as economics, finance, engineering, science, public policy, or another field related to international development
- It’s necessary to have three years of relevant experience.
- You must have fluency in at least one of the WBG’s working languages (English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese)
- You must be able to travel and work overseas
- You must be a citizen of a WBG member country
- You must not have participated in a WBG training program before
- For World Bank placement experience needed: 3+ years of postgraduate study with specialization in economic and financial sector reforms; statistical analysis; measurement methods for socio-economic and environmental outcomes; design research studies; quantitative skills are essential.
- For IFC & MIGA placement experience needed: 1+ year of postgraduate study with specialization in investment climate assessments; project implementation evaluations; local business environment assessments. You’ll need 5 years’ worth of professional experience if applying after your 29th birthday.
Eligibility is subject to periodic review and may change without notice. If we receive more qualified applications than anticipated, eligibility criteria may be amended without prior notification.
How to Apply?
Applying for the World Bank Young Professionals Program 2023-2024 is a great opportunity to develop your career in international development. Following is a summary of the application process:
- Check Eligibility: To apply, you must meet the program’s eligibility criteria. This includes having at least a bachelor’s degree in any discipline, less than three years of relevant work experience, and proficiency in at least one language of the WBG.
- Create an Online Profile: The next step is to create an online profile with your contact information, educational qualifications, and other relevant details. You will also be asked to provide two references who can attest to your character & ability.
- Submit Supporting Documents: Along with the online application, you will need to submit a CV, academic transcripts, proof of language proficiency, and any other supporting documents that are requested.
- Apply for Positions: You can apply for any position that fits your qualifications and interests. After submitting your application, you may be asked to complete additional assessments as part of the recruitment process.
- Interview: You will be contacted to schedule an interview if your application is accepted. During this time, you will be asked about your experience, motivation for applying, and your fit for the role.
- Offer: Once the selection process is complete, you may receive an offer from the World Bank. This offer will include details on salary, benefits, and other terms of employment.
1. What kind of roles will I be considered for?
Answer: Successful candidates are considered for technical and managerial roles within the World Bank Group. Roles may include project management; research and analytics; policy advice; stakeholder engagement; strategic planning; operations and finance; and more.
2. How long is the program?
Answer: The program runs for a period of two years.
3. What is the selection process?
Answer: The selection process includes written tests, interviews, and assessment centers. Final selections are based on candidates’ overall performance.
4. What qualities do you look for in applicants?
Answer: Successful applicants should have a passion for international development, exceptional communication and problem-solving skills, and the ability to think strategically and work collaboratively with diverse teams.
5. What kind of training and mentorship will I receive?
Answer: Selected participants receive specialized training, mentorship from experienced professionals, and access to career development opportunities.
Young professionals who want to impact international development could take advantage of the World Bank Young Professionals Program. We hope you will think about applying for the 2024-2025 program now that you are aware of the application process. I hope your efforts are successful.
Apply Now link https://wbgypp.worldbank.org/