- Country: New Zealand
- Scholarship Type: Merit-based
- Offered by: Victoria University of Wellington
- Institutions: Victoria University of Wellington
- Type: Partially funded
- Degree Program: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
- Scholarship Amount: up to 10,000 NZD
- Deadline: November 30 (Trimester 1), June 1 (Trimester 2), September 1 (Trimester 3)
International students who dream of pursuing their studies in New Zealand are free to apply for the Victoria University of Wellington Tongarewa Scholarship. This scholarship celebrates the commitment of the university to its international student community.
Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. Those who receive a scholarship are offered a place in one of the University’s Halls of Residence, provided the Accommodation Service received an application by the deadline.
All recipients of the Tongarewa scholarships will be expected to act as Ambassadors for the university, participating in appropriate events or marketing if requested of them. In the event of any special circumstances, the terms and conditions of the scholarship may be altered at the discretion of the Deciding Authority. This is to ensure any candidate for the Scholarship does not have to suffer hardship.
The recipients will be selected by a panel composed of appropriate Wellington University International Staff.
Scholarship Value and Duration
Both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients will receive up to ten scholarships worth 10,000 NZD and postgraduate recipients will be offered up to nine scholarships worth 9,000 NZD. This scholarship will be put towards the student’s tuition fees for one year of study.
Opportunity Focus Areas
The following are the areas that the scholarship covers:
- Architectural studies and building science
- English Literature
- History and Philosophy
- Social Sciences
To be eligible for a Tongarewa Scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be proficient in the English language.
- All world countries are eligible.
- Applicant must be an international student paying full international fees.
- Applicant must be in their first year of an undergraduate degree or pursuing a postgraduate degree.
- Applicant must not have completed secondary education at any school in New Zealand.
- Applicant must not have completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program.
- Applicant must not be a Study Abroad or Twinning student from any international partner university.
How To Apply
Here are the steps to apply for a Victoria University of Wellington Tongarewa Scholarship:
- Visit their website and create an account.
- Choose your preferred program from this page then check its qualifications and key dates.
- Go to the “How To Apply” section which will give you more detailed instructions to apply for your chosen program.
All online applications must be submitted by 4:30 PM on the date specified. The university will not accept any late or incomplete applications. The required supporting documentation must also be submitted by 4:30 PM, otherwise, the application will not be considered.
Note that after creating an account and applying for a scholarship, all information related to your application will be from the address: [email protected]. Add this email to your safe senders list to make that you don’t miss any important information about your application.
An online scholarship application must have the following documentation provided as part of it:
- A personal statement of up to 500 words that outline your reason for studying at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and the reason you deserve the scholarship. Any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community should also be included.
- Full transcripts as well as other relevant documentation that qualifies you
- An offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington, whether it is unconditional or conditional