- Country: United Kingdom
- Scholarship Type: Merit-based
- Offered by: Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies
- Institutions: Number of Universities in the United Kingdom
- Type: Fully Funded one-time scholarship
- Degree Program: Masters, Ph.D.
- Scholarship Amount: Minimum of 17,668 GBP (Approx. 21160 USD)
- Deadline: Dec 2023/Jan 2024 (Depending on your course)
The Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, inaugurated in 1985, offers scholarship opportunities to deserving post-graduate students. The award aims to promote studies that will benefit the Muslim world. It is open to residents and nationals of different countries. The scholarship covers all course fees and living costs of the recipients for the duration of the fee liability.
You can find full list of scholarships for muslim students here.
The basis of the scholarship is academic merit. Aside from that, here are the criteria for prospective applicants:
- Fluency in English
- Hold the following residencies and/or citizenships:
- United Kingdom residence from a Muslim community
- A citizen, and normally a resident of the countries below
The Syrian Arab Republic
United Arab Emirates
- Applying for a new full-time Oxford Master’s or Ph.D. degree
- Intend to return to the country of origin or residence upon completion of the course
- Intend to pursue a field relevant to or derived from the Islamic tradition or the Muslim world
Candidates who have previously deferred offers but plan to enroll in 2023-24 are not eligible for the award.
The scholarship is open to prospective full-time Master’s or Ph.D. students at Oxford University. The field must be either derived from or relevant to the Muslim world and the Islamic tradition.
Please keep in mind that applicants who plan to pursue the following programs are not eligible for the award:
- Postgraduate diplomas
- Postgraduate certificates
- Part-time courses
- Non-matriculated courses
How to apply
Here are the steps to follow if you want to apply for the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarships:
- Fill out the application for the chosen graduate program at Oxford.
- Check the box regarding the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarship. You will find this in the scholarships section of the graduate application form.
- Accomplish the Supporting Statement and upload it with the graduate application form. The form is available on the website of the center.
- Submit the application on or before the relevant deadline in either December or January.
Applicants should receive an offer of placement to be eligible for the scholarship. Those who are on the waiting list will not be eligible.
The center will judge eligibility based on the details supplied on the application form. As such, the scholarship only requires the Supporting Statement, aside from the other graduate application materials you need to submit.
- When will I know if I earned the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies Scholarship?
The center will contact candidates about the result of their application by June 2023. Unfortunately, they cannot provide individual feedback to everyone because they receive a large number of applications.
- How many slots are there per year?
This scholarship goes to as many as five students on a yearly basis.
- Can I apply for the scholarship when I already have another grant or award?
An applicant with other funding sources will still be eligible for the award. However, keep in mind that the panel will take this into consideration while computing the value of the scholarship.