In order to foster relationships for international study between the United States and the rest of the world, the Fulbright Program was formed in 1946. Depending on the duration of the master’s program chosen at the US university, the fellowship is provided for one or two years.
The United States-India Educational Foundation oversees the Fulbright Program’s Indian branch. In honor of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first prime minister, USIEF sponsors a variety of Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships.
Fields and Areas of Study
Several fields are welcome to apply for the fellowship program. The candidates are urged to pick a field of study that interests them.
- Environmental Science/Studies
- International Affairs
- Urban and Regional Planning
- International Legal Studies
- Public Health
- Arts and Culture Management
- Higher Education Administration
- Public Administration
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Arts and Culture Management (including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies)
- Arts and Culture Management (This includes Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies)
- Public Health
Each candidate should select one academic discipline that closely fits their main area of interest. Due to sub specialties, course offerings, and academic requirements, each program may have a varied structure and curriculum based on the academic host institution.
How to apply for a Fulbright-Nehru Masters Fellowship
Applications for Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships are only accepted online. The following describes the step-by-step process for applying for a Fulbright Nehru Master’s fellowship:
- Step 1 is to go to the website and register.
- Enter your personal information and press “Continue.”
- Candidates will receive a pin via email, which they would need to input and advance.
- The fourth step is to create a password and access the account.
- Provide your contact, academic, and personal data.
- Describe your language abilities, study strategy, personal statement, preferred universities, etc.
- Upload the necessary papers in step seven.
- Complete the grant and other fields, then submit the form.
- Before submitting the application, go over it completely. The application should be free of grammatical or spelling mistakes.
List of Required Documents
Candidates are required to submit these essential documents while applying online.
- CV (no more than four pages long) (no more than four pages long)
- a transcript of grades
- Results of an English language test
- Results of graduate entrance exam
- Three recommendation letters
- Evidence of your professional background
- A passport photocopy
- A letter of support from the employer (this is not required if the applicant intends to quit his employment in order to participate in the Fulbright-Nehru program).
Candidates must complete the Instruction form and have their supporting documentation available. This will make it simpler for them to submit the form. Students should also be familiar with the terms and conditions of the Nehru Master’s Fellowship.
Fulbright–Nehru Master’s Fellowship Eligibility
An applicant will get these scholarships for a period of one to two years. You must fulfill the following criteria in order to be eligible for the scholarship:
- The applicants must have earned at least 55% of the required marks in an Indian university recognized as having the equivalent of a US bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates must hold a master’s degree or postgraduate diploma from an accredited Indian university in addition to a four-year bachelor’s degree.
- The applicants must have at least three years of relevant professional work experience.
- Through volunteer work or other community involvement, the candidate should have demonstrated leadership skills.
- The applicant should be enrolled in something other than a US degree program or hold a US university degree.
- An IELTS minimum score of 6.0 or a TOEFL/PTE score equivalent is required.
- Students must get in touch with the USIEF to request a language test waiver.
Benefits from Fulbright–Nehru Master’s Fellowship
Here are the advantages you will receive if you receive this scholarship:
- Funding for accommodation, associated costs, and tuition and fees
- Round-trip tickets on a budget from the student’s country to the predetermined US institution
- Health insurance for accidents and illnesses (in accordance with US government criteria)
How Will the Candidates get Selected?
The IE/Fulbright Program will send the applicant’s applications to four different colleges, so they do not need to submit separate applications to US institutions.
The student’s application essay and resume are also looked through by the selection committee. The Fulbright Scholarship recipients are chosen based on their overall academic achievement, work/experience abilities, competency, skills, and community service experience.
The USIEF notifies the candidates who made the shortlist after carefully examining each of them. The fellowship’s schedule and placement procedure are as follows:
- May 17, 2023, for the Application Deadline
- End of June 2023 for Review of applications
- End of July 2023, USIEF will inform the applicants about the review outcome
- End of August 2023 for Interviews of shortlisted candidates
- End of August 2023, USIEF notifies the principal and alternate nominees. Nominees take tests (such as TOEFL and GRE)
- October 2023 for USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the US for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement
- March/April 2024 for USIEF notifies the finalists about the FFSB approval
- May/June 2024 for Pre-Departure Orientation
- July/August 2024 for Pre-academic training in the US (if required)
- August/September 2024 for the Degree program begins
What is the ideal profile for Fulbright Scholar?
If you possess the qualifications listed below, you are qualified for the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship 2024–2025.
- You have a bright intellect that is motivated by academic excellence and research.
- You want to stand up for India internationally.
- Your network, both personal and professional, should be widened.
- You possess leadership skills and are a highly driven person.
What is the postdoctoral Fulbright-Nehru Fellowship stipend?
Each academic year, $20,000 of the $40,000 Fulbright scholarship is given.
How much money is a Fulbright award?
Depending on the host nation, the majority of Fulbright awards provide a monthly stipend that ranges from $1,600 to 2,500 dollars. If you receive an academic grant, the Fulbright Program will normally pay for your studies and cover the cost of your round-trip airfare.
What is the GPA requirement for the Fulbright?
Your GPA and transcripts are actually not the main factors in whether you get a Fulbright, even if academic excellence is one factor in selection, and many successful applicants clearly have great academic records. A Fulbright does not require a specific GPA.
Is it tough to receive a Fulbright?
Each year, hundreds of individuals apply for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Nevertheless, only about 20% of candidates will really receive a Fulbright scholarship.
How many individuals receive a Fulbright?
The Fulbright Program, which was founded in 1946, gives about 8,000 fellowships each year. Over 2,000 American students, 4,000 international students, over 800 American scholars, 900 visiting scholars, and several hundred instructors and professionals also get honors.
What is the Fulbright program’s age limit?
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program grant has no age restriction. 3.0 is the minimum required GPA. Anybody who spent five or more of the six years leading up to the national application deadline living abroad is unable to apply.
Who finances Fulbright?
A yearly appropriation granted to the US Department of State by the US Congress serves as the program’s main financial source. Direct and indirect assistance is also given by participating governments, host institutions, businesses, and foundations in overseas nations and the US.
Fulbright: Is it a big deal?
Grants are available for recently graduated students, researchers, and teaching assistants under the Fulbright Scholar Program. One of the most distinguished programs in the world is this one. Sixty of the students who have received this scholarship in the past have now won the Nobel Prize.