The Erasmus Mundus Scholarship program instituted by the European Union is one of the most attractive options for students from across the globe to study in some of the world-class universities in Europe. The application process for admission into as many as 116 programs across various disciplines for the academic year 2023-24 is now open for students.
- It is a funded scholarship that covers the students’ academic, insurance, and travel expenses.
- This program allows students to complete their degrees in more than one European country.
- A stint in European Union allows the student to learn the European culture.
- Explore a career in a lucrative and challenging environment.
- Expanding their personal and professional network.
Highlights of the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship:
- All paid tuition fees
- Cost of insurance for the student
- Contribution towards the travel expenses
- 1100 to 1500 Euro Monthly subsistence allowance
- One or a joint degree
- Top quality global exposure
- Student exchange among universities
Erasmus Mundus Scholarship 2023 Application Deadline
31st Dec, 2022.
The application deadline for Erasmus Mundus Scholarships in 2023 is set in December 2022 in most European universities for the 2023 admissions class.
Who can apply for the scholarships?
- A student with a bachelor’s degree can apply for the Master’s degree program.
- Students graduating by the start of the academic session at the university.
- Students with an alternative degree can also apply for the joint master’s program.
- Age is no bar for this program, as the Erasmus Mundus scholarship tries to offer equal opportunity to all.
Erasmus Mundus does not bar students with low GPAs from applying for scholarships. Still, it is needless to mention that a good GPA is one strong indicator of the academic superiority of the students.
Categories of the scholarship:
For category A,
- The student must belong to countries other than European countries.
- They should not have carried out their studies or training for more than twelve months in the last five years in any of the countries mentioned in the schedule by the Erasmus Mundus.
Category B allows students from Europe and others who do not belong to category A.
How much is the scholarship amount?
The total scholarship is 49,000 Euros for a two-year master’s degree program. It covers tuition fees, insurance, a monthly allowance, and travel cost. The tuition fees get deducted from the scholarship.
How tough it is to get the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship:
Erasmus+ is a paid scholarship that enables students to study in world-class European universities. The demand for the program among international students is very high. Out of the total seats available, around 25 percent of seats are for students on scholarships. Here are the factors that make the competition tough;
- A large number of applicants.
- Students with academic superiority.
- Diverse academic and cultural background
- Quality of papers published or some notable work done.
- Relevant work experience
English Skills required:
This scholarship requires the applicants to show proficiency in the English language.
- Scores from the most established international tests like IELTS or TOEFL are considered to verify English proficiency.
- For IELTS, a final score of 6.5 is mandatory, with a score of 5.5 or more in each section.
- For TOEFL, a total result of 575 in paper-based tests and 90 in case of internet-based tests is good enough to qualify.
- Some of the participating universities also accept the Duolingo English proficiency test. They also have a provision to exempt students from English skills based on specific parameters.
How to apply for Erasmus Mundus Scholarships?
- The students must visit the Erasmus+ website and then follow the Opportunities link to learn more about the program.
- The students must go through the program catalog to know the available programs.
- Please select a course relevant to their aspirations and in line with his qualifying degree.
- Go through the catalog to understand the studies courses, participating universities, and entry requirements.
- The student can contact the concerned universities to know more about something than what is in the catalog.
- Usually, the period from October to January is when the application process happens for the next academic year.
A student can apply to a maximum of three programs at a time from the list of available programs in the catalog. Any student who in the past has availed of the scholarship is no more eligible to apply.
What is the Duration of the Erasmus Mundus Scholarships?
- The Joint Master’s degree course usually takes two years, and it is pertinent to mention here that
- The duration of the courses varies from program to program.
- Some courses may take one academic year to complete the degree.
The followings are the documents required to complete the application process;
- Official academic credentials in English
- Letters of recommendation (2 Nos)
- Motivation letter
The students applying for the scholarship should take great care in writing the motivation letter since it plays a significant role in the evaluation process.
How does the selection work?
The admission committee carries out the admission process.
- The ranking is done for up to 100 points, which is divided into three parts.
- The academic competence of the student carries up to 40 points
- The motivation letter carries up to 20 points
- Relevant work experience & recommendation letter combined account for up to 40 points.
The final ranking is prepared by taking the total scores into account.
Around 30-40% of programs in the Erasmus Mundus joint master’s degrees programs under Erasmus+ conduct interviews as a part of the selection process. If the student has applied for a course that needs him/ her to appear for an interview, it is better to prepare well ahead of the interview. Please remember the Erasmus+ interviews are tough and very technical. Focused preparation for honing your knowledge will help you crack it.
Some things to keep in mind:
Often students ask about the role of GRE or GMAT in the selection process of Erasmus Mundus. GRE/ GMAT does not play a role in the selection procedure for Erasmus Mundus scholarships.
Students can not include their partners or any family member to avail of the scholarship as the scholarship caters to the need of the student only.
Universities may or may not allow students to work while studying. So, the student must check this with the university well.
The deadline for the application varies with the program; yet, for admission into the academic session of 2023-24 in most European universities, the deadline is set for December 2022. Yet, students need to check this with the official website of Erasmus Mundus and the participating universities’ websites to get accurate information.
A good demonstration of your co-curricular, extra-curricular activities and online courses taken will help you build a strong profile.
Wish you good luck.