Here are the alternatives to studying in Canada without an IELTS certificate. These include the following:
List of Canadian Universities That Do Not Require an IELTS Score
Some universities in Canada do not need an IELTS score to let you in. Here is a list of some of these universities:
#1.The Brock University
Eligibility requirements to be accepted into the university:
- No IELTS score is required for enrollment
- Alternative to IELTS:
Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
- Accepts scores from alternative tests of English proficiency:
CAEL Assessment, CAE (A1 Advanced), CPE (C2-Proficiency Test), Duolingo, TOEFL, PTE
Brock Universityy offers a variety of services and supports specifically for international students, including orientation programs, counseling and advising, and support for visa and immigration processes.
In order to be accepted into the university, applicants must provide official transcripts, secondary school documents, and any other necessary certificates and qualifications. Depending on the program, applicants may also be required to take a standardized test such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
#2.The Carleton University
Carleton University welcomes international students & provides English language programs for skill improvement. It does not need IELTS but accepts other language proficiency tests such as TOEFL, CanTEST, CELPIP, & PTE Academic. Otherwise, students need to provide proof that their previous education was in English.
Carleton University supports international students with multiple international student services such as an International Student Centre, Global Engagement Office, and International Student Services Office. The university also provides scholarship opportunities.
#3.The Winnipeg University
Winnipeg University is open to international students & welcomes applications from around the world. To be eligible to study at the university, international students must meet the minimum academic requirements and submit evidence of English language proficiency.
Important points to consider about the university:
- Does not need an IELTS score
- Accepts alternative tests of English proficiency
- Proof of English proficiency is mandatory
Alternative tests of English proficiency:
- Duolingo Proficiency Test
- Cambridge Assessment Test for English: C1-Advanced test
- Cambridge Assessment Test for English: C2-Proficiency test
- A Canadian English Language Academic Assessment Test
- PET (Academic)
- University and College Entrance Programs in Academic English
- English Language Program at The Winnipeg University
- English Language Program – Evening Course at The Winnipeg University [Part-time]
For admission to most programs, applicants must also submit evidence of their secondary school qualifications, such as a copy of their high school transcript.
#4.The University of Regina
The university does not need international students to take the IELTS but does require a minimum score of 6.5 on the TOEFL or equivalent. The university accepts alternative tests such as the CAEL, PTE Academic, and CELPIP. Students can also choose to take ESL test at the university.
#5.The University of Saskatchewan
International students are welcome at the University of Saskatchewan and the University is committed to creating an open & diverse learning environment. As proof of English language proficiency, the University does not need prospective international students to have a valid IELTS score. However, the University also accepts alternative tests such as,
Proof of English Language Skills:
- Standardized tests such as TOEFL iBT, CanTEST, CAEL, MELAB, PTE Academic, CAE, and Duolingo Proficiency Test
- Completion of an approved English Language Proficiency (ELP) program by the University of Saskatchewan Language Centre or the University of Regina
- General Certificate of Education of A/AS/AICE Level English
- Advanced Placement (AP) English
- International Baccalaureate (IB) English A1 or A2 Higher Level
- International Baccalaureate (IB) English B Higher Level
- GCSE/IGCSE/GCE O-Level English, English Language, or English as a Second Language
In addition to language proficiency tests, the University of Saskatchewan also requires international students to provide evidence of their academic qualifications and educational background. This includes transcripts, certificates, & other documentation that proves an applicant’s academic qualifications & experience.
#6.The Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
The university welcomes international students from around the world & offers a range of support services to help them succeed in their studies. To apply to MUN, international students need to submit their high school diplomas, transcripts, & other documents as required.
IELTS is not required for admission to MUN. However, international students may be required to take an alternative test such as TOEFL, MELAB, or PTE Academic as part of their admissions application.
MUN offers several certificates & qualifications for international students, such as the English Language Certificate & the English for Academic Purposes Certificate. These certificates help international students develop the English language skills necessary for academic success at MUN.
The university also offers a range of tests & assessments for international students, including the MUN Test of Academic English, which helps evaluate students’ English language proficiency.
#7.The Cambrian College
IELTS is not required for admission to Cambrian College. Instead, the college accepts alternative tests such as the PTE, Duolingo, TOEFL, CAEL, & MELAB. International students must also submit a transcript detailing their academic qualifications & the results of any tests taken. A program called English for Academic Purposes (EAPP) is also available for students. This program can take between 4 to 10 months, depending on the student’s proficiency. A diploma or certificate program will be offered to students who complete the EAPP.
#8.The Concordia University
IELTS test is not mandatory test for this university and the most commonly accepted test is either the IELTS or the TOEFL.
The university also accepts other valid tests such as the Cambridge English Language Assessment (CELA) & the Pearson Test of English (PTE). Applicants must submit their original transcripts or certificates in order to be considered for admission.
Alternatives to IELTS for study in Canada include:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – Another widely recognized English proficiency test.
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) – A computer-based test that assesses English proficiency in an academic setting.
- CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program) – A test designed specifically for Canadian immigration and citizenship purposes.
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language) – Another test designed for individuals looking to study in Canada.
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
Popular Scholarships in Canada without IELTS
Government-funded scholarship programs:
What do these scholarship grants cover?
Scholarship Eligibility Standards
Aside from IELTS, academic performance is one of the qualifications for scholarship grants. Another requirement for a scholarship grant is providing research for research-based scholarships. Since some schools do not require IELTS, students must still acquire alternative English Language Proficiency certification.
Transcript of records
English Language Proficiency Certification
Proof of Income
Bank Statements of the applicant’s guardian
Letter of Recommendations
Record of Citizenship Status