Chevening Scholarships are a global scholarship program financed by the UK government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and its partner organizations. Chevening aims to build global leaders. As a result, it provides rewards to great scholars from around the globe with leadership qualities, as well as the possibility for outstanding students from around the world to study for a master’s degree in any topic at any UK institution. Students who are qualified for this award can apply to any UK university for a one-year postgraduate study in any topic.
Number of Scholarships: 1500+
Study Level: Master’s Degree
Deadline: 1st Nov 2023 (Likely)
Study in: UK
Type: Fully Funded
The course starts Sept/Oct 2024
Applications for 2024/25 scholarship opens on 12th Sep 2023.
Eligibility requirements for the Chevening Scholarship
- Must be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country (It included India, Pakistan, China, and most African countries). You can check the full list of countries on the official website. The candidate needs to return to their home country for at least two years upon completion of his Master’s.
- Must have completed an undergraduate degree to be eligible for a Master’s program in the UK.
- Should have 2 years of work experience (2800+ hours).
- Need to apply for three different master’s programs from eligible courses in the UK and must have an unconditional admission offer for a full-time Master’s program from one of the universities in the UK by 13th July 2024.
What does this Scholarship include?
It is a fully funded scholarship. It covers tuition fees, monthly living allowance (£1134/month within London and £917/month outside of London.), travel, and visa expenses. The award duration is one year.
How to apply for Chevening Scholarship?
Chevening Award applications can only be submitted using the Chevening online application system, which is accessible via the ‘apply’ option on your country’s page. The application deadline is November 1, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. GMT.
The following are the main parameters to ace the Chevening Scholarship Program:
- Obtaining a great recommendation: References are a crucial component of the selection process for Chevening. Applicants must include the names of two references at the time of application submission. When selecting a referee, candidates must adhere to the standards established by the scholarship board. A referee should be able to comment on the general appropriateness of the candidate to earn the Chevening Award. Referees should be acquainted to the student in a professional or academic position and must not be family members or friend.
Your references should demonstrate:
- Intellectual and personal traits
- Leadership and networking abilities
- Capability to complete an academic program in the UK
It should address issues such as:
- How long has the referee known the applicant?
- Is the referee in regular communication with the applicant?
- Overall approval of the potential candidate.
- Chevening Essay: You can watch this detailed video to know more about how and what to write in the essays.
- Passing the personal interview: Shortlisted Candidates for the Chevening Scholarship will be interviewed at a British Embassy city. Personal interview panelists are from the British Embassy or High Commission. The interview will include academic and personal/professional ambitions.
- Meeting English Language Requirements* ( IELTS /PTE/TOEFL/C1 Advanced/Trinity ISE II) . The Chevening English language requirement was removed in 2020.
You can find list of scholarships in UK for international students here.
List of Documents Required
- Valid identification card/passport
- A minimum of two years of work experience is required (minimum of 2,800 hours)
- Transcript of Higher Education
- Certificates of tertiary education
There are four essays which need to be submitted.
- Influence and Leadership
- Your Career Plan
- Studying in the United Kingdom
There are two references.
Documents should be submitted later (before June of the following year):
- One unconditional offer letter from a university of your choice
- Test results in English