A few of the best of the West
Pictured are members of Troop C, probably of the 5th Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, Fort Grant, Arizona, in 1881. The post, designated a fort on April 5, 1879, and named after President Ulysses S. Grant, was intended to defend area settlers against Apache Indians. With the onset of the Spanish-American War in 1898, troops were withdrawn from the fort and it was never regarrisoned.
National Archives, Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer