U.S. Treasury goes north

1880

This 1880 drawing of the U.S. Treasury Building on remote St. Paul Island illustrates the farthest reaches of U.S. sovereignty. The island is part of the Pribilof chain off Alaska’s southwest coast, acquired under the 1867 Treaty with Russia. The $7.2-million purchase added nearly 600,000 square miles to the United States. The onion-domed church is a reminder of the existing Russian community.

National Archives, Records of the Public Buildings Service


Tags