Iron railings and burglar proof vaults
This undated drawing of the first floor of the Sub-Treasury Building at 26 Wall Street in New York City shows a building criss-crossed by iron railings, burglar proof vaults, and counters. The current structure was constructed as the Customs House in 1842. In 1862 Customs moved out and the Sub-Treasury was housed here until 1920.
National Archives, Records of the Public Building Service