From fighting wars to fighting tuberculosis
This store, near Ruidoso, New Mexico, was photographed as part of a collection of photographs highlighting the advancements of public health and sanitation in the early 20th century. In 1899, the Public Health Service took over the former Fort Stanton and ran it as a U.S. Marine hospital to treat tuberculosis. In 1953, the facility was turned over to the state of New Mexico.
National Archives, Records of the Public Health Service